Write 10 modern inventions you are grateful for.
- The automobile in general is a fantastic invention. I like being in different places, but don’t necessarily like going there. Cars make the going a ton faster than via horse and buggy.
- The internet. It’s kind of crazy that the internet came about in my lifetime. So many great things stem from the internet. There’s some bad things too, but mostly good.
- Toilets/indoor plumbing. I’m sure I could manage without… but I’m glad I don’t have to.
- The printing press. Ok, so print might one day become obsolete with the internet, but its invention really ushered in a new age of thinking. All of the sudden reading was for the masses.
- Heating/air conditioning. It’s so nice not having to worry about keeping a fire stoked in the winter. Especially after my experience in a yurt. I’ll share about that sometime soon.
- Electricity. I probably take for granted how easy it is to just turn lights on and off. No matches; no candles. Just a switch and the occasional new light bulb.
- Pens. They’re really an underrated convenience when you compare it to quills and ink. Pens are faster and easier.
- Vaccines. I listened to a podcast on the beginnings of vaccines and it’s creepy at the start, but really it’s pretty incredible that we’ve been able to nearly eradicate so many awful diseases through them.
- Microwave. It’s a magical box. I avoid using the microwave as a principle method for preparing food (I’m probably the only person in the world who still makes Ramen Noodles on the stovetop), but the microwave is really pretty great.
- Toasters. Ok. I love toast. You can do it in the oven with the broiler… but the toaster is better.